Friday, April 16, 2010

Prepping for Another Weekend

Something original.  Finally.  There hasn't been a whole lot to write about that Felicity hasn't covered, but I wanted to process this coming weekend a little bit.  This weekend we're going to the Greek church in town.  Let me give you some background and then go on.

There are three churches in this area.  There's an OCA church and two Greek churches.  We will be going to either the closer of the two Greek churches or the OCA church.  We visited the OCA parish this past Sunday, met with the priest, etc.  The Greeks have been a harder nut to crack: no real website, no e-mail, not big office hours people--but that's neither here nor there.

Only one person that I know, love, and respect has suggested that I go there.  Everyone else has thrown their weight behind the OCA parish.  This puts me in a bit of a bind, emotionally.  I have no reason not to go to the Greek church.  I have no reason not to assume that the Greeks will be just as open, loving, welcoming, and amazing as those we met this past week....except that's not the picture being painted for us by people who either used to attend or used to be the parish priest there!  What's a guy to do?

Our plan is to go.  We'll be at Vespers tomorrow night around 5 and the Liturgy begins around 10 on Sunday.  We'll see how it goes.  I'm not really excited.  Is that wrong?  I have nothing against Greek Orthodox people.  One of the most important people in my life was this priest I mentioned above who made sure that we would be looked out for when we moved here.  He even called ahead of us to make sure that Fr. T. knew were were coming and we're beginning our search.  Leaving things in God's hands is so hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment